Visiting the Cliff of Moher with Kids
Cliffs of Moher with Kids
I was initially very excited about visiting the Cliffs of Moher with kids. However, we had gone into Doolin to have a bite to eat at a pub and I saw the Visitors center for the area. We stopped in the visitor’s center and I spoke to woman manning the desk. I was asking about things to do in the area with kids and she suggested a few things, but then added not to go to the Cliffs of Moher with kids. She was quite emphatic about it as well. As that was one of the things we were most excited about, I was very disappointed.
Visiting the Cliffs of Moher with Kids
We warned the children and perhaps scared them within an inch of their life. Things like “You must stay next to us at all times”, “You must hold our hands at all times”, and “If you don’t and fall off the edge, you will die”. Not my finest parenting moment. With everyone sufficiently scared, we went off to the Cliffs of Moher the next day. We were very apprehensive upon arriving. Then we noticed that many of the key areas were safe. That is, there were rails or walls and no easy place to fall over the edge as I had feared. However, on the coastal walk there are large areas of open cliffs where it would have been dangerous to bring young children. Older well behaved calm children would have been fine on the coastal walk. We enjoyed the safe areas with the kids and had a great morning!
I wouldn’t hesitate to bring my children to the Cliffs again, and when they are a bit older, walk the coastal route with them. It really is a beautiful place.
Practical things about the Cliff of Moher with Kids
- You don’t actually pay to visit the Cliffs or the visitors center. You do pay to park (€5 Per adult and nothing for kids)
- The visitors center is small, but actually quite good and fun. They had some videos and a few interactive exhibits for kids.
- There are a few shops outside, but we didn’t stop and look in any of them.
- The closest town to the Cliff is Doolin, about 15-20 minutes away by car.
- Plan for 1.5 – 2 hours here without doing the coastal walk.